Tuesday 18 January 2011

Emma shops the British high street (Part I)

I often like to imagine what Emma would pick out from the stores I frequently shop at. Let's pretend we put Emma down in the middle of a typical British high street ... um, no, maybe not ... I'm not sure she'd fare too well shopping on our average high street. Let's find her a nice shiny new shopping centre ... perhaps mid-morning on a Tuesday so it's super quiet. Now what might catch her eye? First stop Oasis.


There's a great basic tie neck sweater - it comes in yellow, pale pink and taupe as well as the pale blue, a gold metallic cardi with a bow - perfect for a light layer over a date night dress, a cap sleeved sweater and cardigan embellished with crochet flowers on the shoulders - both come in pink and black and a light chiffon top decorated with pleats and corsages - available in burgundy as well as pale pink. There are some Victorian influenced tops - a simple pale taupe colour one with sheer polka dot panels and a series of pleats on the sleeves, the other more elaborate with sequins embellishing the lace, a high neck and long sleeves. I think Emma would find a place in her wardrobe for the ivory blouse with double ruffle cap sleeves and a decorative pleat detail neck with ribbon tie. The shell tops with pleated ruffles dramatically circling the neck and arms would I think catch Emma's eye - I like both the blue and black and white polka dot versions. The plentiful ruffles of the Chinese print blouse would also surely get Emma's attention. And if it weren't for the fact that Emma prefers to buy her pencil skirts from J Crew I think she'd be interested in this tucked taupe pencil skirt with a bow at the waist. There are even matching bow adorned courts to complete the look.


We have a pretty print blouse with an enchanted castle/fairytale print - perfect for our storybook guidance counsellor, a t-shirt with a draped bow that is I think the t-shirt Emma should wear if she ever does, a navy and white striped cardi and twinset top for that perfectly neat put-together look and another Victorian inspired top - this time in indigo and with embroidered flowers. I love the white top with black polka dots and a pleated neckline with corsage detail but  my favourite is the pale blue (they say green but, um, it looks blue to me!?) with the contrast bow and edging. It also comes in black and white and I like it so much I've made three outfits with it that I hope would be worthy of Emma.


Okay so I got a little sidetracked there but I do think Emma would like the coral boatneck sweater with bows on the shoulders, the parasol print blouse with ruffles, the pintucked and frilled shell and the blouse with ruffled placket and sleeves too. And who doesn't need another pussybow blouse?

And in the way of dresses there are a few that Emma might look at.


The red, grey and black for the colour blocking and pleats and the blue/green shift dress for the tailoring and great colour - worn with a contrasting belt it would be very Emma. The red dress has some Emma potential with its peter pan collar and the taupe sleeveless dress with tucked bodice and bow on the shoulder would suit Miss Pillsbury very well.

Hmmmm ... now where shall I take Emma shopping next?

Note: if you try to click through from Polyvore and get an out of stock message, ignore it as they're often wrong

No comments: